[asterisk-users] voicemail.conf numerical extensions only?

Alan Lord alanslists at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 08:59:28 CDT 2007

Alan Lord wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it mandatory that all voicemail entries have a numerical mailbox
> name? Or is it possible (like SIP extension for example) for them to
> have alphanumeric names?
>
> All references I have read use numerical definitions and examples, but
> do not explicitly state this is the ONLY acceptable method.
>
> TIA
>
> Alan

Answering my own question I know, but playing around today I have found
that voicemail can indeed be alpha, numeric or alphanumeric.

defined thus in voicemail.conf:

[business]
tolc => 1234,The Open Learning Centre,,,

manage like this - as long as your sip phone does text...

exten => _8tolc,1,Answer()
exten => _8tolc,n,Voicemailmain(${EXTEN:1}@business)

Just FYI for search engines.

Alan