[asterisk-users] E4 Superframe E&M?

Lyle Giese lyle at lcrcomputer.net
Tue Oct 16 20:56:51 CDT 2007

Steve Totaro wrote:
> Richard Lyman wrote:
>
>> Steve Totaro wrote:
>>
>>> I need to create a couple of tie lines between a legacy system and an
>>> Asterisk system.  I was told that the tie lines are E4 Superframe E&M.
>>>
>>> I have done E&M wink but have no idea about E4 Superframe E&M and Google
>>> is not helping me here.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know about this type of signaling and if Asterisk can handle it?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Steve
>>>

>> use this
>>
>> zaptel.conf
>>
>> span=1,1,0,d4,ami
>> e&m=1-24      ; 1-32 for E4
>>

>> zapata.conf
>>
>> signalling=em
>> channel => 1-24   ; 1-32 for E4
>>

> Thanks to everyone who has responded so quickly to my question.
>
> To my way of thinking, it would be better to have the legacy tie-line
> reconfigured to use esf if possible.
>
> Is D4 (superframe) well supported in Asterisk, are there less features?
>   If it is virtually the same, then I guess I will just setup Asterisk
> to use it rather than messing with the legacy system.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

D4 superframe - more bits are used for chan signalling, results in 56k
voice channels.
Extended superframe - fewer bits used for chan signalling, results in
64k voice channels.

Otherwise basically the same, both are 1.544 mbps. If the T1 goes down,
D4 takes longer to frame up than ESF. But for pbx to pbx, aren't they
going to be located in the same room?

Lyle