[asterisk-users] E4 Superframe E&M?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Oct 16 13:58:39 CDT 2007

Steve Totaro wrote:
> I need to create a couple of tie lines between a legacy system and an
> Asterisk system.  I was told that the tie lines are E4 Superframe E&M.

That sounds like a miscommunication; they probably meant D4, which was
the framing method used before ESF came along. See the Wikipedia page
about DS-1 for more information.

In zaptel.conf this can be specified by using 'd4', 'sf' or
'superframe'. It is likely that this T1 is using AMI for line coding as
well, because most systems that use B8ZS line coding use ESF for framing.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Director of Software Technologies