[asterisk-users] CDR

Michael Collins mcollins at fcnetwork.com
Tue Oct 16 13:47:10 CDT 2007

> If anybody thinks they have a magic spell that will calm down the
CDR's, I > will not mind the information at all!

Murf,

I don't know if it's relevant or not, but I do know that at least one
legacy PBX vendor (NEC) has a 'solution' that helps with some of the
sillier CDR's that could get generated.  They have what they call a
"pseudo-answer timer" which is basically just a way of saying, "If a
call doesn't last for at least X number of seconds then it really isn't
a call and no CDR should be generated."  It is a bit of a case of
throwing away all really short phone calls, even legit ones, but it does
also get rid of the silly stuff: I pick up, get dial tone, then hang up
or I pick up, dial ext 1234, let it ring for two seconds and then hang
up.

What I'm wondering is if there's a way to apply this kind of logic to
some of the scenarios you're dealing with.  The hard part, I'm assuming,
is having a way to make it customizable for people who have certain
needs, i.e. they rely on the borked behavior, not to mention the
butterfly effect (fix one thing over here, then something seemingly
unrelated over there breaks).

Question: is there a minimum CDR duration, be it a hard-coded value or a
setting somewhere?  I'm just curious if there's a way to tell the
system, "Look, it's safe to ignore any 'phone calls' that are less than
2/3/4/5 seconds in duration, just drop the CDR in those cases."  Of
course, we don't want the system to be too 'helpful' for its own good.
If my minimum call duration is 4 seconds but my system can detect a busy
in only 2 seconds, I don't want that CDR dropped just because the system
is good at detecting congestion...

I sympathize with your dilemma!  I hope kicking these ideas around will
at least help grease the wheels for getting a viable solution in place.

-MC