[asterisk-users] phone as control interface (was 99bottlesof beer)

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Tue Oct 16 07:43:28 CDT 2007

Jon Pounder wrote:
> Quoting John Faubion <jfaubion at tx.rr.com>:
>

>>>Does anyone know of such a  device that I can use over a network? It would
>>>be a pain to run a USB cable. I am thinking of devices that are like:
>>
>>I think your missing the key feature of these devices, UPB/X10. UPB and X10
>>are communication protocols that runs across the electrical wiring in the
>>home. The 1132 box can be programmed using a USB cable to your computer but
>>it doesn't have to remain connected via USB to control the lights and
>>outlets using X10. Additionally you only have to connect one PC-UPB/X10
>>controller to control the other UPB/X10 devices. You will have to install
>>more devices to make it all work but the commands come across the house
>>wiring.
>

> has anyone actually been satisfied with the performance of these
> powerline signalling devices ?
>
> yeah they make a nice cheap demo, but any time I have used them they
> proved to operate randomly on their own, and not always when they were
> supposed to. Hardly something I would want for say a door release.
>
> Granted in an existing situation there may not be a way to run more
> wires, but I evaluated them a while back and decided to stay away.

I have tons of X10 devices doing all kinds of things, all over.

They are in a rural/small-town environment, so things might be different
in areas of denser population (caused by other controllers on the mains).

For me they work flawlessly.  I have light and appliance controllers, as
well as X10 thermostats in two houses.

B.

believed to be clean.