[asterisk-users] Distributed FAX - How to best complement asterisk ?

John Hughes john at Calva.COM
Tue Oct 16 03:56:46 CDT 2007

Benny Amorsen wrote:

> PvK> Some of the bigger MFC printer/copy/fax combo devices by Brother
> PvK> (and maybe also other vendors?) provide a fax-via-smtp feature
> PvK> and can built fax networks that way.
>
> As far as I can tell, the Brother boxes require the user to enter
> fax-over-internet addresses as actual email addresses. There is no way
> to tell the machine to always use fax-over-internet, and there is also
> no way to configure a default domain.
>
> Asking fax users to select "email" and then type in
> +15551234567 at fax.example.net on a tiny little keyboard just won't fly.
> I don't understand why no fax vendors offer an easy fax-via-email user
> interface.

And why on earth don't all the HP MFC's that have Ethernet and or
Wireless and a Fax modem also have T.38 built in? I've got 2 of the damn
things and the fax capability is useless to me.