[asterisk-users] Is there real benefits on a SMP machine for Asterisk?

Shaw Terwilliger sterwill at sourcegear.com
Mon Oct 15 15:28:52 CDT 2007

shadowym wrote:
> I hope I am not opening a can of worms here but IMHO there is
> ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO USE SCSI anymore!  For sure not for this
> application but most other things too.  SATA is mature now, does
> command queuing, and works well on 2.6 kernels.  Oh, there is the
> issue of cost as well.

This is just not true.  If you want the best performing drives out
there today, you'll be using SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) or Fibre
Channel.  There are still 3.5" LVD SCSI drives (the old parallel style)
that beat the pants off the fastest competing SATA drives because they
spin at 15K RPM and have longer MTBFs.  Yes, these drives cost more than
SATA, but there are many reasons to use them.

--
Shaw Terwilliger <sterwill at sourcegear.com>
SourceGear LLC