[asterisk-users] About .call files when the congestion is on myside

Cosmin Prund cosmin.prund at adicomsoft.ro
Mon Oct 15 08:38:40 CDT 2007

> Behalf Of Anselm Martin Hoffmeister wrote:
> Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] About .call files when the congestion is
> on myside
>
> Am Montag, den 15.10.2007, 11:26 +0300 schrieb Cosmin Prund:
> > Hello everyone.
> >

> > I’m working on an application that needs to automatically send faxes.
> > To send the faxes I create .call files but the .call files mostly
> fail
> > because my lines are always congested within business hours! Is there
> > any trick I can use to give the end user a better chance at actually
> > receiving the faxes?
>
> Are you aware of the MaxRetries, RetryTime and WaitTime in your
> call-files? You can set quite large numbers, e.g. a RetryTime of
> 15 minutes and a MaxRetries of 32 would try for up to 8 hours.
>
> Note though that any "answered" call will stop the retry cycle.
> This is embarassing for Zap channels that cannot detect remote
> ringing / remote busy reliably. As you use ISDN this should not
> be a problem

*IF* an unanswered call stops the retry cycle then it's true, I can simply ask for lots of retries. I assumed an unanswered call would NOT stop the retry cycle so I was afraid to set a large value here. I'll have to test what happens if the called line doesn't pick up the phone.

> > I already tried using the local channel for dialing (so I can put in
> > there a loop that waits for a line to be available) but this doesn’t
> > work because I’m sending faxes using chan_capi’s capicommand(sendfax)
> > – and that command requires an chan_capi channel, it doesn’t like the
> > “local” channel. Besides, looping in the dialplan would probably
> > interfere with the “Wait” option in the .call file so that’s a really
> > bad solution.
>
> If you want to do this (looping) use MaxRetries = 0. I do not
> understand
> why having the remote side connecting to a local extension that does
> faxing would not work. Or is it that the CAPI FAX stuff will only work
> on unAnswer()ed channels?

It's the CAPI stuff not wanting to send over a non-CAPI channel. And it somehow makes sense, because the CAPI stuff uses the DSP's in my ISDN card, so it can't work unless it's on a CAPI channel. Also I expected the capi application to see through the Local channel and notice it really is an CAPI channel!

Thanks for your answeres!