[asterisk-users] Is there real benefits on a SMP machine forAsterisk?

Andreas Sikkema andreas.sikkema at bbeyond.nl
Mon Oct 15 05:01:12 CDT 2007

> > The mistake people often seem to make is to assume that
> > loadavg == cpu usage.
>
> It is a good indication. Even a better indicaton to the ammount of
> threads ("processes") starved for CPU time.

On a quad core Linux machine it is possible to have a totally
unusable machine with a loadavg of 4 or a perfectly usable
machine with loadavg of 10.

If you look at loadavg alone you never get the "full" picture.

In the first case the CPU load on all cores is 100% while the
CPU load in case number two could be something around 25% on
each, but they are all doing very I/O intensive stuff.

I frequently see machines doing loads of over 4 with total CPU
load not above 100% (of 400% possible)

--
Andreas Sikkema