[asterisk-users] Distributed FAX - How to best complement asterisk ?

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Sun Oct 14 02:39:32 CDT 2007

Olivier wrote:
> I was told yesterday (by Cantata guy) that T.38 demands a good level
> of QoS.
> That surprised me a lot as I thought the whole purpose of T.38 was to
> avoid SIP and ToIP latency.
T.37 is the answer to reliability, but most people don't want to use it
for totally stupid reasons. T.38 is a fudge to make real time FAX over
IP less flaky. It isn't all that robust, it just isn't as awful as FAX
over VoIP.

> Another editor (Interstar) told me T.38 passthrough doesn't work.
That's not true. As long as the passthrough has fairly low latency (and,
of course, a solid reliable implementation), it shouldn't impact the
results.

> As devil lies in details and I couldn't get any, I'm not sure these
> words would be of any use.
In a sane world all FAX would have been T.37 from a few months after
that spec was released. :-)

Steve