[asterisk-users] Affordable SIP Trunk for Home PBX ?

John Millican jmillican at sentinelcommunications.com
Sat Oct 13 11:27:52 CDT 2007

On Saturday October 13 2007 12:09 pm, Lee Jenkins wrote:
> Steve Edwards wrote:
> > On Sat, 13 Oct 2007, Lee Jenkins wrote:
> >> I have been using axVoice.com for some about 9 month to a year now and
> >> their service is pretty damn good.  For home users they have unlimited
> >> plan for around 22.00-24.00 U.S. per month.
> >
> > I think the "pay as you go" plans make more sense for most people -- why
> > do you think the vendors push the flat rate plans?
> >
> > At $25.00 per month, you'd have to be on the phone for about an hour a
> > day for it to be cheaper than a $0.015 per minute plan.
>
> True, but I work from home, have a wife and 4 kids with friends and
> family all over the U.S. so it makes more sense for me.
>
> Good point though, Steve.
>
> ---
>
> Lee

Be sure to read the fine print as most of the "unlimited" plans do actually
have a limit on usage (even the ones I offer).  Some are out in the open some
are very well hidden and some others do not even publish the number of
minutes that will get you moved to a business rate or possibly even canceled.
Think of it from a business perspective, You would not want your clients to
use so many minutes that it ended up costing you money, would you?  So what
the provider has to do is settle on an average of all the customers so that
some can use a few more minutes than they pay for and some use less than they
pay for, the group in the middle make up the profits.  Even under this
scenerio there is still a point where the provider starts to loose money.
This is why I usually guide customers to a per minute rate so that it is
fairer to both sides. Everybody knows what the rules are.  Then again there
are those that like the convenience of writting the same check every month.

JohnM