[asterisk-users] Paging in Asterisk

Bill Andersen andersen at mwdental.com
Fri Oct 12 09:28:18 CDT 2007

> I use a mysql script to dynamically generate the page command
> and page about 70 phones, and I have never had a reboot problem.
> Sometimes there is a slight delay waiting for all the phones to
> join the page conference. I am using a mix of 650's, 550's, and
> 330's.
>
> It must only be an issue if you are using presence. Maybe I will
> setup presence on a couple phones and see if they reboot.

It is definitely the presence.  My set up is as follows:

IP601 (Receptionist x7110)     << Buddy List turned ON
                                 (Only way to update sidcar)
IP501 (32 "user" phones)       << Buddy List turned OFF
                                 (Cuts down on traffic)

I have about 15 of the IP501s in the Page Group.  I would have
all of them, but too may more than 15 will cause the 601 to
reboot EVERY time. At least with 15, it only reboots about
1 out of 15-20 pages.  I have to have at least the 15 extensions
in my group to get the whole building covered.

When there is a page, the CLI shows

Extension Changed 7118 new state InUse for Notify User 7110
Extension Changed 7134 new state InUse for Notify User 7110
Extension Changed 7117 new state InUse for Notify User 7110
Extension Changed 7125 new state InUse for Notify User 7110
Extension Changed 7123 new state InUse for Notify User 7110
Extension Changed 7114 new state InUse for Notify User 7110
Extension Changed 7137 new state InUse for Notify User 7110
... for all 15

THIS, according to Polycom is the rush of presence information
that overwhelms the 601 and causes it to reboot.

They suggest moving to new firmware (which for right now I
can't), but I'm going to try Joseph's GREAT suggestion to
set one of the other lines on the 501 to a secondary
extension within the page group... Thanks Joseph!!!
I'll let you know how that works.