[asterisk-users] [1.4] lookup_user : specified user 'asterisk' unknown? installing zaptel?

Vincent vincent.delporte at bigfoot.com
Fri Oct 12 08:55:39 CDT 2007

Hello

1. I don't have deep knowledge of either Linux or Asterisk, but I seem
to have successfully installed 1.4 with Zaptel (for support for an
OpenVox PCI FXO card) on a stock Ubuntu 7.04 Server Edition:

======== dmesg ==========
[   25.990943] Zapata Telephony Interface Registered on major 196
[   25.990948] Zaptel Version: 1.4.5.1
[   25.990950] Zaptel Echo Canceller: MG2

[   27.523605] ztdummy: RTC rate is 1024

[   34.720147] Zaptel Transcoder support loaded
======== dmesg ==========

One thing though: When I boot up, I see the following error message on
the screen (no trace dmesg or /var/log/messages):

===================
udevd : lookup_user : specified user 'asterisk' unknown
===================

By looking at /etc/udev/rules.d/zaptel.rules, I guess there was a step
missing in the instructions I read on how to compile Zaptel, and
assume I have to add a user/group for "asterisk"?

2. More generally, I found missing or possibly outdated information on
how to go and install the Zaptel module to support PCI cards, so I'm
not positive  I did everything right:

===================
1. Compile and install Zaptel:
cd zaptel-1.4.5.1
./configure
make clean
make
make zttool
make install
make config
=> (here, says "If you have any zaptel hardware it is now recommended
to edit /etc/default/zaptel or /etc/sysconfig/zaptel and set there an
optimal value for the variable MODULES")

2. Compile and install Asterisk:
cd /usr/src/asterisk-1.4.2
./configure
make clean
make
make install
make samples
make config

cd /usr/src/asterisk-addons
./configure
make clean
make
make install
make samples

3. create /etc/zaptel.conf
edit /etc/asterisk/zapata.conf
edit /etc/asterisk/extensions.conf

4. install ztdummy:
echo "ztdummy" >> /etc/modules
modprobe ztdummy

Did I do it right? Am I missing something?

Thank you.