[asterisk-users] Opinions on Release Numbering

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Thu Oct 11 16:37:32 CDT 2007

On Thursday 11 October 2007 12:45:45 Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> People who know little should not be *trying* to interpret version
> numbers; they should be using what a packager, a website, or a
> knowledgeable other source *tells* them to use.

This I disagree with, fundamentally.  People should be able to pull
themselves up by their bootstraps, if they choose to go down that
road.  I speak from personal experience, here.  While I am certainly
one of the core developers and fairly high up on the totem pole, I
still remember my frustrations as a young programmer, and this is
an attempt to take care of one of those frustrations.

Yes, it seems so obvious *now*.  Why can't we dump tradition and try to
build a versioning system that IS more obvious?

--
Tilghman