[asterisk-users] Opinions on Release Numbering

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Thu Oct 11 09:21:09 CDT 2007

On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 08:47:52AM -0500, Tilghman Lesher wrote:

> One of the problems with this traditional approach is that it's not obvious
> unless you know what "rc" means.  In the case of someone new to software
> development, I want them never to assume that "1.6.0-rc2" means "1.6.0
> plus something else, presumably desireable to have".  Note that this isn't
> without precedence; netatalk was distributed for years as netatalk-1.3+asun.
> It would be perfectly reasonable to assume that "rc" was someone's initials.

That "someone" could be apt/yum or rpm/deb trying to figure out the
latest version of the package to upgrade to.

There are some common workarounds. And they all require some
manipulations to the version number as recieved from the tarball before
packaging it.

Anyway, following that logic, go for 1.5.99-rc2 ?

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com