[asterisk-users] Opinions on Release Numbering

Steven asterisk at tescogroup.com
Wed Oct 10 16:24:13 CDT 2007

My opinion:

1.4 is a branch.
current trunk should be called 1.5
1.5 should be 1.5.1.1, 1.5.1.2 ,1.5.1.3,1.5.2
In the above, X.X.Y denotes the "stable" version. Any changes to that code, would use the next point value. 1.5.1.Z
You do not change to 1.5.2."0" until it has been tested, thus 1.5.2 would be the stable release of the last 1.5.1.Z.

You could think of it as beta1, Beta2, RC1, RC2, etc. just without all those nasty letter in the version number.

You could also drop the "1"s and move everything over one spot in my opinion.  At a year between releases (not a slam by the way) I
think you could use full integer increments on the versions.

Steven

http://www.glimasoutheast.org