[asterisk-users] Opinions on Release Numbering

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Wed Oct 10 12:54:42 CDT 2007

I have been having discussions with various members of the development community
in regards to changes to the way we manage open source Asterisk releases.  The
changes that we eventually decide on will determine how we manage the 1.6
version of Asterisk.  I will be posting much more detailed information about 1.6
in the near future.

What I'm looking for right now is some opinions on version numbering.  Part of
the working plan for Asterisk 1.6 involves making release candidates for every
1.6.X release, so that various community members can help with doing regression
testing on the changes before making the release.

I proposed calling the release candidates 1.6.3-rc1, 1.6.3-rc2, etc.

Another proposal has been using 1.5 to indicate that it is a release candidate.
 For example, 1.5.3, 1.5.3.1, 1.5.3.2, etc., would be the release candidates for
the upcoming 1.6.3 release.

What is your opinion?  I certainly want the release naming to be as obvious as
possible.

--
Russell Bryant
Senior Software Engineer