[asterisk-users] Wifi - Managed access points...

Bruce Reeves nortexnetworks at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 10:53:06 CDT 2007

Wai,

The IP address is really on the access points, since they are the SIP
part of the solution. Let me see how well I can explain this, The
access points register to a manager application, running on one AP,
and the phones have a hard coded DECT id and register to the same
manager app. The manager actually performs the connection to the
Asterisk system and all the access points have IP's and each phone an
account on Asterisk. In a handover the manager app routes the SIP
traffic to the AP that the handset is on and as the caller moves the
phone detects other AP's and picks a new AP. That AP coordinates with
the manager app to re-route the sip/rtp. In testing so far, you cannot
tell the hand off occurred, even while watching the signal meters on
the phone, there is no noticeable audio loss. There has to be a fair
overlap in coverage, they say around -60db to -70db in signal you
should have another AP and the phone can see up to 4 APs at a time.
Each AP can handle 8 voice channels so you have to keep that in mind
also. So did that make sense.

<== Little Commercial blip ==>

Aastra requires people be certified resellers on this solution to
purchase\sale it. In that process they give a fantastic amount of
attention to planning a wireless deployment. Nortex is a certified
reseller of the Aastra SPI-DECT solution.

<==End of blip ==>

On 10/10/07, Wai Wu <wkwu at calltrol.com> wrote:
> Hope you don't mind I jump in here. I am interested in DECT's handover
> of live calls. My question is, does the IP address on the phone change
> when moving from on access point to another?

Bruce Reeves
Nortex Networks