[asterisk-users] advice on sip

Baji Panchumarti baji.panchumarti at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 10:26:45 CDT 2007

 On 10/9/07, Gregory Machin wrote:

> Hi
> if i want to use sip client to connect to my asterisk pbx do i need to
> run a sip server ?
> If so can you point me in the direction of a good howto for asterisk and sip ...

 install any sip client on your workstation computer
 and point it to your asterisk box IP address, you
 should hear the "welcome to asterisk ...."  message.

 http://www.asterisk.org/support/get-started

 I suggest visting the library or purchasing :

    Asterisk : The Future of Telephony, 2nd edition
    ISBN 10: 0-596-51048-9
    ISBN 13: 9780596510480

 and reading up a bit.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596510480/index.html

 Specifically   /etc/asterisk/sip.conf   defines the aspects
 of SIP channles on your asterisk box along with some
 port parameters from   rtp.conf

 -baji.