[asterisk-users] New Embedded Distro

Darrick Hartman dhartman at djhsolutions.com
Sun Oct 7 18:25:36 CDT 2007

shadowym wrote:
> Astlinux does seem to be growing cob webs a bit.  Askozia doesn't support
> Zaptel cards in the GUI and not sure if it is possible to configure them
> manually.  There is no Voicemail storage mechanism yet.  It's still very
> basic but a nice start.

A few comments on this as one of the Astlinux developers.  Asterisk 1.4
is and has been in a beta branch for some time.  The developers feel
that while 1.4 is the future, in many cases 1.2 is a much more stable
platform.  Also while there hasn't been a release with significant
changes recently, there has been significant action behind the scene.

Askozia looks like it has made a huge amount of improvements and changes
since it was first introduced.  There are significant differences
between the two platforms.  Each project has different goals, different
licenses and different strengths.

Astlinux is built on a very customizable framework that can allow it to
be used for other applications besides Asterisk.  We have several
supported vpn's, full firewall support, and a published development
environment.  There's support for Digium, Rhino and Sangoma zaptel
hardware.

Askozia appears to be centered around the GUI.  While that's not
necessarily a bad thing, an experience Asterisk user may want to
manipulate the raw config files.  Networking support appears to be
limited.

In any case, I applaud the author of Askozia for his efforts.  Taking on
a project of this size takes a considerable effort.  In many cases it's
a volunteer effort.

Regards,

Darrick
--