[asterisk-users] Recommendations for kernel config

Chris Bagnall lists at minotaur.cc
Fri Oct 5 11:33:07 CDT 2007

The settings I use are as follows (with explanations):

> SLAB Allocator (SLAB or SLUB?)

SLAB (the default).
I don't know enough about the differences between them to say whether one is better than the other.

> Tickless System (?)

Enabled.
Seems to be the default setting. Disabling it doesn't seem to have any noticeable effect on system performance.

> Preemption model (?)

Pre-emptable kernel.
We want asterisk to be able to interrupt as quickly as possible, even at the expense of overall system efficiency.

> IO Scheduler (Anticipatory, Deadline or CFQ?)

Deadline.
I googled for benchmarks on this a few months ago. There were mutterings about bugs in the Anticipatory scheduler, and not enough detail about CFQ. Deadline is supposed to be best with database loads, and as good as Anticipatory in other environments, whilst being a lot lighter.

> Flat or Sparse Memory (?)

Flat memory. If you have a system that supports sparse memory, then use it - none of my boxes do.

> Timer Frequency (100Hz .. 1000hz)

1000hz.
The more opportunities for asterisk to generate interrupts the better, I've assumed.

Those are the settings I use. Always open to suggestions on improving them :-)

Regards,

Chris
For full contact details visit http://www.minotaur.it