[asterisk-users] Sangoma vs Digium: (was Re: ping too)

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Fri Oct 5 10:32:47 CDT 2007

This is really a silly debate.

I used to buy Digium products until they let me down with all kinds of
quirky behavior with regards to echo, clicks, "incompatible
motherboards" and IRQ issues.

I read all the success and praises of Sangoma on this list and thought I
would give them a try.  Guess what?  I have had none of the above issues
since going Sangoma.

Digium products actually lost me money and reputation.  Many small
business owners talk in their little circles.  Do you think that a
business owner is going to sing praises of a system that exhibits all
sorts of annoying audio issues?  I bet they will if they get an Asterisk
system that has perfect audio (ie referrals for me = more money).

Do you think a small business owner is going to be satisfied with audio
problems?  Nope.  That means more time going back to the site
(gas+time+money lost from not doing something else) or remote which
gives the consumer less of a warm fuzzy feeling but saves me gas and a
little time.

As far as I know, most of the Asterisk code has come from the community
who have done the work and signed over their rights to Digium.  Maybe
someone can correct me there, I really don't know.

I do what is best for my customers and myself, and if that means
Sangoma, then so be it.  My allegiance is to nobody but us as far as a
phone system goes.

In fact, I have steered certain companies away from Asterisk and sold
and installed 3com V3000s because I knew they would not be happy with
anything less.

Asterisk is vendor neutral opensource software (supposed to be anyways).
  The more corporate  it goes, the more backlash you will see, forks are
inevitable when Digium employees are posting to the lists in anger.

Anyways, maybe Sangoma has actually done Digium and the Asterisk
community a HUGE favor by upping the bar as far as hardware goes.  It
has been some time since I have used Digium products, that they very
well might be on par with Sangoma now.

Can anyone that has used both recently confirm this (unbiased of course).

Thanks,
Steve Totaro