[asterisk-users] Best config for 12 FXO system?

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Fri Oct 5 04:09:27 CDT 2007

In article <4703BD4C.7040606 at mail.schoffstall.com>,
Steve Totaro <stotaro at mail.schoffstall.com> wrote:
> Tony Mountifield wrote:
> > I have a client who wants a Meetme box with 12 FXO ports, to connect
> > to Analogue lines coming from an Ericsson PBX.
> >
> > It looks like I could do this with four different hardware configurations:
> >
> > a) three TDM04B cards (based on TDM400P)
> > b) one TDM04B and one TDM808B
> > c) one TDM804B (or TDM854B?) and one TDP808B
> > d) one TDM2403B (half filled TDM2400P)
> >
> > Apart from considerations of cost and PCI slot availability, are there any
> > technical reasons to choose one of the above configurations over the others?
> >
> > Cheers
> > Tony
> >
> If the Ericsson PBX has a T1 card already and you have one in your
> asterisk box, that would be the cleanest way of acheiving what you
> want.

We always try to use E1/T1 where possible, but this customer specifically
wanted to interface to a bunch of analogue ports, so I assume T1 is
not an option in this case.

> You could also use a channel bank with the analog and convert to
> T1 for the Asterisk connection.
>
> I try to use T1 (PRI if possible) whenever more than four analog trunks
> will be involved.  I have had tons of bad experiences with analog cards,
> very few with ISDN.

I have no experience of channel banks, but I expect that for 12 ports
a channel bank and a TE110P would work out more expensive than a half
populated TDM2400P.

Thanks to all the others that contributed to this thread too..

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield