[asterisk-users] Configuration files inside SQLite3

Mark Michelson mmichelson at digium.com
Wed Oct 3 11:15:28 CDT 2007

GNUbie wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Is it possible to store, read and write configuration files in an
> SQLite3 database instead of using the configuration files inside the
> /etc/asterisk/ directory?  If it is then can you point me to the right
> documentation on how to do this or probably hints on how to do this?
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> GNUbie

It is possible to store configuration files in any relational database
which has ODBC compatibility. Thus, sqlite qualifies. If you are using
trunk, you won't even need to use ODBC, because Asterisk has native
support for sqlite.

If you're looking for an overview of the Asterisk Realtime Architecture
(the means by which you can store configurations in a database) look in
the doc directory of your asterisk source for realtime.txt and
extconfig.txt, or search voip-info.org for "asterisk realtime".

If you're looking for more in-depth coverage of integrating Asterisk
with a relational database, I suggest looking at the second edition of
Asterisk: The Future of Telephony, available at book stores, or for
download at http://openbooks.oreilly.com/
Specifically, check out chapter 12. It doesn't cover sqlite explicitly,
but it's not much of a stretch to use it based on what's provided in the
book.

Mark Michelson