[asterisk-users] Asterisk Keep Loosing Registration

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Wed Oct 3 10:16:22 CDT 2007

Hi Nitesh,

The reachable/unreachable determination is not connected to registration
expiry parameters in any way.

There is a qualify= parameter (that has a default value, and I think it
may be on by default) that is associated with all SIP peers.  It is
basically a way to say that the SIP peer should be pinged periodically
(with a blank SIP OPTIONS message that returns some sort of response from
the other end) and that if the round-trip latency on that transaction
exceeds whatever number of milliseconds, the host should be deemed
'unreachable' until the next ping is attempted and the RTL moves back into
qualified territory.  This is the parameter to qualify, e.g. qualify=2000
means declare the host unreachable if its round-trip latency through SIP
ping exceeds 2000 ms.

I generally find the behaviour of this facility to be rather spurious
with end-user phones and prone to false alarms, for whatever reason.
So, I either give it a really high value, or say qualify=no.

Best of luck,

-- Alex