[asterisk-users] meetme conference using g729?

Mark Quitoriano markquitoriano at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 04:16:18 CDT 2007

On 10/3/07, Tilghman Lesher <tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 02 October 2007 16:55:52 Brian West wrote:
> > On Oct 2, 2007, at 4:42 PM, Mark Quitoriano wrote:
> > > anyway still if there's a hack for meetme to work with g729 codec
> > > this won't be an issue. So is there a hack or patch that i can use
> > > any codec for meetme? tnx
> >
> > You still do not understand.  It doesn't matter if the call coming in
> > is g729 you must transcode it to signed linear, mix the frames and
> > then code it back into g729 you end up with quality loss doing that.
>
> Or, in other words, you cannot mix compressed data.  You must first
> decompress the data for mixing, then recompress it for transmission.
> During both operations, there is a potential for signal degradation.

yeah i still don't understand.  this is what i want to do. I want asterisk
not to compress and decompress codecs. so either i can use SLIN as my codec
for my SIP or IAX. or i can remove SLIN codec in meetme and change it to
g729a so there's is no compression and decompression.

do you get what i want to do? Thanks!