[asterisk-users] Asterisk Redundancy

Matt Riddell matt at venturevoip.com
Mon Oct 1 23:46:02 CDT 2007

What we do is the following:

Our CPE (Customer premises equipment) registers via IAX with all of our
servers at the same time (with qualify turned on for the links).

All of the servers first try to reach numbers via local IAX links.

If this fails they do a DUNDi lookup to the other servers to check if
they are able to terminate the call.

With regards to PSTN connectivity each server has a collection of
methods to terminate the call with ISDN failover.

Every minute each of the VoIP links are checked and their results stored
in the routing table.

Routes that are not accessible are temporarily removed till their

A destination is the selected based on:

1) Availability
2) Weight
3) Price

The choice is made in the above order.

Some providers are not very good at terminating some destinations even
though the connection to them might be fine.

We use this to decide on the weight.  Better quality termination gets a
higher weight.

We then take the destinations with the highest weight (100 if the route
is fine).

If there are multiple destinations with the same price in this group, we
chose the cheaper one.

In all of the CPE the calls failover to the other servers if they are
unavailable (the qualify setting does this).

So, as long as there are no calls on a particular box, you can just stop
Asterisk and do whatever you like.

Each server updates all other server's MySQL database for credit when
they are available.  If not, a replication conflict email is sent so
that I can manually tally any problem credits.  If I thought about this
properly I could probably make this automatic.

- --
Kind Regards,

Matt Riddell
Director