[asterisk-users] Cisco 7940G licensing with asterisk

Matthew Rubenstein email at mattruby.com
Mon Oct 1 12:54:57 CDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-01 at 19:02 +0200, Olivier wrote:
> Matthew,
>
> Did you keep any hardcopy of licensing terms (when downloading SIP
> firmware) ?
> This way we might double check if CCM license is mandatory to connect
> a Cisco SIP phone to an Asterisk server.

	I haven't seen any such mandate, and didn't elicit one when I told
Cisco I was using the firmware/phones with Asterisk instead of
CallManager. I don't think there is one. You can look at the release
notes for all the 7900 firmware available for download, including the
version I got:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/prod_release_notes_list.html .

> Beside that, Cisco SIP phones require menu localization files to come
> from CCM.
> Did you run into this ?
> Is there anything special with these phones that make those
> localization files to be downloaded (I know that's another topic, but
> while we're at it ...)

	I have not completed the deployment of the phones, as I've had other
priorities. I have not yet run into that problem, or heard of it before,
but it might be lying in wait later in the process. I'd like to know
whether it is indeed a problem in using the phones with Asterisk, and
how to solve it if so.

--

(C) Matthew Rubenstein