[asterisk-users] asterisk as non-root/best practices

Alan Lord alanslists at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 17:25:45 CST 2007

Robert McNaught wrote:
>>  thanks for the reply Tzafrir,
>>
>> I tried the below, but I think maybe I misexplained what I am trying
>> to do.  I have asterisk running as user asterisk - I followed the
>> instructions in the Asterisk book and have everything stored in
>> /home/asterisk/asterisk-bin - this includes logs, pid files, configs
>> etc etc

I can't see why you are still having trouble. There are lots of
explanations for how to do this.

Why are you trying to build asterisk under /home?

The binaries should be in your usual path (/bin, /sbin, /usr/bin), the
configuration stuff should *always* be in /etc/asterisk, and build
asterisk to store all voice mail and logs under /var/{lib,log,spool}.

I have documented this process here:
http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2007/10/30/untangle-asterisk-pbx-and-file-server-all-in-one-part-7/

I don't mean to be rude, but if you really can't do this - pay someone
who can...

Al

--
The way out is open!