[asterisk-users] Newb Question

Jeff Adams maillists0 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 06:21:14 CST 2007

On 11/30/07, Vivek Shrivastava <vivshrivastava at gmail.com> wrote:

> you can try Cain & Abel ( to route calls) and  Wireshark to record all the
> calls.
>
> On 11/29/07, Adam Moffett <adam at plexicomm.net> wrote:
> >
> > I'm pretty sure asterisk won't do that without modification.  You'll
> > need to do packet sniffing and decode the data....there may be products
> > that do this, but asterisk is not it.
> >
> > And we're assuming the calls are unencrypted?
> > > I inherited an office with phones that are hosted off-site. Everything
> > > is skinny and G729. I see that the FreeBSD asterisk port comes with a
> > > G729 codec.
> > >
> > > I want to record everything. If I use port mirroring on my switch, is
> > > it possible to configure asterisk to record and assemble packets that
> > > it doesn't otherwise route? Is it insane to user asterisk for this
> > > purpose? Advice or a link to a howto would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone. You can indeed use cain and abel to convert g729 to .wav
(wireshark doesn't have that codec just yet), and it's easy enough to
capture packets with tcpdump or wireshark. I've done this a few times as an
experiment.

>I suspect either you want to insert an Asterisk system in-between as a
>"tap" (requiring re-configuring your phones and your outside provider) or
>using a "voip sniffer" plugged into the management port of your Ethernet
>switch.

That's more or less it. I know how to duplicate the packets. What I want now
is to automatically reassemble, decode and archive each rtp stream (every
call) on this network of 20 users or so. There are open source applications
for this but they don't have G729 support. Asterisk has G729 support and it
can record calls (at least from the command line it appears to have that
feature). All the pieces are there but I'm not even sure where to begin
configuring it to do only that. Surely some adventurous soul has done this
already.