[asterisk-users] Newb Question

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Thu Nov 29 21:52:53 CST 2007

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007, ram wrote:

> chan spy does the job i belive
>
> ram
>
> On Nov 30, 2007 7:37 AM, Jeff Adams <maillists0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I inherited an office with phones that are hosted off-site. Everything is
>> skinny and G729. I see that the FreeBSD asterisk port comes with a G729
>> codec.
>> I want to record everything. If I use port mirroring on my switch, is it
>> possible to configure asterisk to record and assemble packets that it
>> doesn't otherwise route? Is it insane to user asterisk for this purpose?
>> Advice or a link to a howto would be greatly appreciated.

Chanspy lets you listen to a channel. While it will record to a file, it
would be a manual operation for every call.

I suspect either you want to insert an Asterisk system in-between as a
"tap" (requiring re-configuring your phones and your outside provider) or
using a "voip sniffer" plugged into the management port of your Ethernet
switch.

Of course, I've done neither, so my advice is worth every penny you paid
for it :)

Thanks in advance,