[asterisk-users] Digium TE120P versus Sangoma A101D-X

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Nov 28 17:22:58 CST 2007

George Pajari wrote:

> I've had this argument with Digium before -- their position is a crock.
> As you can see from my analysis below, one can certainly run the HPEC on
> a full T1 PRI span if you have a fast enough processor. Digium, however,
> has made the business decision not to provide HPEC keys for their T1
> card for reason they do not explain and which I cannot fathom.

It is very easy to understand, if you are in our position of having to
support the product and deal with end users who don't have the technical
knowledge that you do. The last thing we want is for someone who has a
single port T1 card in a 2GHz P4 machine call and get a 24-channel HPEC
key only to find out that the performance is poor (or worse), and claim
that it is our fault.

> In summary, an X3210 processor has roughly 7.5 the processing power of a
> 3GHz P4, therefore, it ought to be handle roughly 7.5 x 8 channels or 60
> channels. Therefore, handling a single T1 span (23 channels) ought to be
> easy.
>
> If anyone on this list spots a flaw in this analysis, please let me know.

Well, there's no 'flaws', except for the assumption that the user who
has the single-port T1 card already has a quad-core Xeon machine to plug
it into. If they don't, the price difference between the 3GHz P4 and the
X3210 machine is likely to be greater than the cost of the hardware echo
canceler option for the single-port T1 card, in which case that's both
easier and cheaper for the user to purchase, especially if they are
installing this card into an existing server.

At this time Digium isn't selling a single-port T1 card with a hardware
echo canceler so this is somewhat of a moot point, I suppose :-)

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Director of Software Technologies