[asterisk-users] G729/MOH Quality

Darryl Dunkin ddunkin at netos.net
Wed Nov 28 15:42:17 CST 2007

Does anyone have any opinions on the music on hold quality over G729?
The stock files seem to sound terrible over it, this is enhanced further
by calls coming from the PSTN via a Zaptel gateway. I am only using the
stock wav files and have not attempted to use much else so far.

I've ruled out timing issues on the system generating the MOH itself
(ztdummy on the PBX itself, our Zaptel gateway is a separate Asterisk
server). There is no transcoding going on in the middle except via our
Zaptel/T1 gateway. When using G711 it sounds fine of course, but this
doesn't work well for remote sites with lower bandwidth connections.

As of now, I'm torn between getting complaints from end users about the
music or killing it entirely (leaving people waiting in queues with dead
silence).