[asterisk-users] Outbound calls through iaxy ATA not hearing ring + appending carrier PIN codes

Vaughan Schmidt vaughan at schmidtusa.com
Wed Nov 28 07:52:39 CST 2007

Greetings all-

Long story short - I find myself suddenly running a Asterisk PBX after old PBX
suddenly died.  Fortunately, I had been "playing" with Asterisk (via Trixbox)
on a server in consideration of replacing our aged Merlin Legend - so over
the course of last weekend, I brought my testbed PBX up to full operation and
now supports about 30 users.  All in all, went smoother than anticipated, and
we are already seeing a lot of features are going to have immediate benefit.

The major problem area I am left with is Fax support.

My incoming trunk is a fractional T1, with the voice channels leaving adtran
and entering PBX server on a Sangoma A101 card.

I am using Digium iAXY's to hang my fax machines off of.

Generally, this works fine locally.  We have near 100% reception and sending
of local faxes.

However, when we go Long Distance, several problems crop up.

The first problem:

Any outbound call from Analog device --> iaxy --> Asterisk --> PSTN, does not
hear "rings" when calling.  The call is placed, then dead air until called
party answers.  I looked at adding a "r" code to Outbound Dial Command
options, but help text says *DO NOT* use those options.   During business
hours I have to stay "hands off" any changes that could disrupt service...

I am wondering if that type option could be used just for extensions using
iAXy's or if there is another solution?

The 2nd problem:

An extension of #1, but we have LD PIN codes implemented by our CLEC carrier.
A regular LD call placed through a polycom handset will hear and can reply to
the carrier's PIN prompt no problem (i.e., we dial 19197543700 and hear the
carrier's prompt and can type our PIN code in)

Placing same call from analog device through iAXy, we get dead air - so don't
hear the prompt.

If I dial a local or 800 number, no need for PIN, so call will connect when
both parties connect, even though you listen to dead air until connection.

Any suggestions? - Could I have system append PIN codes to end of LD routes
(+xxxxx1234) or something.

(First post, so if I am not including enough info or need contents of .conf
file, will be glad to post.)

Thanks in advance,

Vaughan Schmidt