[asterisk-users] Asterisk behind a PIX firewall?

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Tue Nov 27 08:56:10 CST 2007

Matt wrote:
>     This is a dual NAT situation.   PIX on Asterisk side, and Netgear on
>     phone side.  HOWEVER.    The Asterisk box has it's own IP.... but it
>     is being tunneled through the PIX.    I guess the PIX must be
>     messing something up?
>

> If I remove the phone from  behind the Netgear... then I get the audio
> from the Asterisk PBX.... so traffic seems to be flowing.... but why
> would it not get behind the firewalls?

Trust me on this, I have tried almost everything to get it to work, the
best you can hope for is one way audio in a dual NAT.

The answer has to do with where the packets are sent from and where they
seem to be sent from.

If you are not familiar with OpenVPN, you should check it out.  It is a
great piece of software and will solve your issues.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro
888.777.1888