[asterisk-users] OT: Best firmware for Linksys Router that is "SIP AWARE"

Erik Anderson erikerik at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 08:49:07 CST 2007

On Nov 26, 2007 8:29 AM, David Boyd <dboyd at ignitetrx.com> wrote:

> I struggle with the traffic shaping rules, would you be willing to
> provide additional details as to what you have done in past?
>
> Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Sure - I use the default HTB traffic scheduler.  The number one tricky
thing about traffic shaping that most people miss is that they don't
set their uplink speed correctly.  For 99% of the use cases out there,
you have no control of your downlink speeds, so there's not a whole
lot you can do for that - you really only have control of your uplink
packets.  So - do a bunch of speed tests and then set your uplink
speed to about 80% of your max upload speed.  That will ensure that
there's always a bit of overhead and that your link itself will never
be the uploade bottleneck.  After doing this, just start classifying
traffic.  Here's a synopsis of the rules I use:

- DNS - high priority
- SIP - express priority
- RTP - express priority
- HTTP/https - bulk priority
- (other p2p applications) - bulk priority

Putting those rules in place should make a big difference.  You can
also specify a specific ethernet jack on the router that will get high
priority if that would help in your setup.

HTH-
Erik