[asterisk-users] MSSQL ODBC Connections

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Sat Nov 24 18:40:09 CST 2007

On Saturday 24 November 2007 14:48:02 Robert McNaught wrote:
> Does anyone know if it is possible to use the same database and single
> ODBC connection to do both CDR recording with cdr_odbc and dialplan
> routing based on func_odbc.

In 1.4, no.  The reason is, cdr_odbc was written prior to res_odbc and
therefore does not use its connections.  So cdr_odbc attempts to make its
own connection to the database.

Of course, if you're using MS SQL Server, that's what you want, because
concurrency is what disallows the use of a single connection.

> I have both res_odbc.conf and cdr_odbc.conf pointing to the same DSN in
> odbc.ini
>
> I am starting to think that this limitation in having a single
> connection would stop this being possible in asterisk - does anyone know
> otherwise?

There is no limitation in 1.4 of having a single connection, as long as you
set pooling=yes.  So I don't understand your question.

Please understand that odbc.ini doesn't set up a connection, only the
connection parameters.  res_odbc can (and does) create multiple connections
based upon those parameters.

--
Tilghman