[asterisk-users] Calling with hidden callerid

Mike list at virtutel.ca
Fri Nov 23 07:17:22 CST 2007

> Anyway, setcallerpres has the disadvantage for SIP that the
> number is not sent at all. This means that the upstream
> provider cannot give the number to emergency services.
>
> In the regular phone network, CallerID is always sent, but
> showing it is suppressed just before it reaches the final
> destination -- unless the destination happens to be e.g.
> emergency services. SIP does not have a standard way to
> achieve this. We encode the information in the caller name,
> but it would probably be better to use a custom SIP header.
>
> setcallerpres works very nicely for PRI lines though, it
> sends the CallerID but suppresses showing it. Precisely what
> is needed for emergency services.

Thanks Benny, that's great info that I didn't think of.  So we want to send
the number out, but notify our provider that it shoud be hidden unless it's
a call to 911 or something.

What we have is a SIP connection, not a PRI, is there anyway to do something
like that with SIP?  Would that be provider-specific?

Mike