[asterisk-users] p2p t1 with sangoma hw

Jesse Molina jesse at opendreams.net
Sat Nov 17 19:18:34 CST 2007

Michael J. Liberatore wrote:

> Also for the wiring, i have a verizon smartjack for the p2p t1 and i am
> running cat5e from the smartjack to the asterisk box, do i wire this
> like a standard ethernet cable t568b?

Yes.

> or does it need to be wired
> differently?

No.

> Verizon was going to install it but then they told me they
> DO NOT use shielded cable which i thought was needed, so i decided i
> would do it myself and save some money.  I just need to know how to wire it.

You do not need shielded wire unless you know that you have a noisy
environment, which is very, very, unlikely.

Cat5, nevermind Cat5e or Cat6, is overkill for a DS1/T1 line's frequency
needs, but it is a good choice because it's cheap.  Be sure to use
plenum/horizontal cable if this cable is transversing outside of the
room, so that you meet fire code.  Don't use patch/vertical/PVC cable.

Just get a pair of wall mount "biscuit block/boxes" and run it
straight-through, pins 1-1, 2-2,... 8-8.  TIA 586B is usually more
common, but it doesn't really matter if you use A or B.

--
# Jesse Molina
# Mail = jesse at opendreams.net
# Page = page-jesse at opendreams.net