[asterisk-users] Dialing time-out

Jared Smith jsmith at digium.com
Fri Nov 16 17:09:45 CST 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 10:37 -0600, Jim Houser wrote:
>   One of the issues with user devices at the end Asterisk is dialing time
> out

[snip]

> This clearly separates Asterisk from the traditional TDM platform
> behavior where a time out can be REAL LONG allowed people to dial at a
> snail's rate without upsetting the phone system but then immediately out
> pulsing when a number match is met, regardless if the number match is a 4
> digit extension or 7 digit phone number.

Actually, this isn't quite correct.  With Asterisk, you can define both
the response timeout and the digit timeout (the one you specifically
mention above) using the TIMEOUT dialplan function.

As for having the system immediately dial out once an extension is
matched, it's really up to your dialplan.  Asterisk will connect to the
extension as soon as there's an *unambiguous* match.  Point an analog
phone at the context below, and I think you'll see what I'm trying to
say.  (Obviously SIP phones are different than analog, in that they
usually send the entire dialed number at once -- if you're using a SIP
phone, you may be encountering a dial timeout on your phone, and not in
Asterisk.)

[dial-timout-test]

; If you dial 1 or 12, Asterisk will wait before connecting, to see
; if you're going to enter the 3 for extension 123
exten => 1,1,SayNumber(1)
exten => 12,1,SayNumber(12)
exten => 123,1,SayNumber(123)
; If you dial 2, Asterisk will immediate connect you, as there's no
; other possible match in this context.
exten => 2,1,SayNumber(2)

--
Jared Smith