[asterisk-users] Install Scripts for CentOS 4

Baji Panchumarti baji.panchumarti at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 13:51:15 CST 2007

 On Nov 13, 2007 3:13 PM, Zaheer K. Master  wrote:

> OK Thanks!
> If I'm building a new Asterisk system from scratch, is
> there any downside to using CentOS 4 instead of 5?

 some of the packages in 4 (4.5) are pretty old, eg. sox
 that is bundled with 4.5 does not recognize several
 common audio formats. You can upgrade some of the
 packages to more current versions.

 If you plan to do any asterisk-AGI using php, centos 4.5
 installs php4, most of the new php stuff is written in php5.

 I would also suggest evaluating debian as an alternative
 to centos  4 & 5  for your  *  box.

 In my limited experience, I have found debian 4.0 (Etch)
 to be a better platform for * than centos 4.5 & 5.
 But please, I don't want to start a distro flame war here.

 YMMV.

 -baji.