[asterisk-users] Switchvox Space Requirements

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Fri Nov 9 08:54:25 CST 2007

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Andres wrote:
>> Can anybody give me a rough idea how much disk space is requiered for a
>> typical install?  I want to install it in a system with solid state
>> storage and I don't want to buy more than I need.  Would 1GB be enough?
>
> I don't believe so, I would expect that 2GB would be plenty though. Also
> keep in mind that there is no 'typical' install, because you don't get
> to make any choices during the installation... there is only one kind of
> install :-)

Don't know much about Switchvox, but I can fit the working guys of a linux
system, asterisk & php into a 48MB device as a compressed initrd file
which then runs entirely from RAM. I could make it smaller, (using eg.
busybox, etc.) but I can't be bothered and there's no real need.

I'm a bit skeptical about running a system entirely out of flash, but
given the write wear levelling process employed by new devices, my fears
may be unfounded in modern units. (And I do use a separate unit myself for
voicemail)

The price difference between 1GB and 2GB units doesn't seem much these
days either, so go for the 2GB device...

Gordon