[asterisk-users] Asterisk as a SIP to XMPP Jingle voice gateway

Philippe Sultan philippe.sultan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 04:39:13 CST 2007

Hi Eric,

> I'm looking for a SIP to XMPP Jingle voice gateway.
>

> I see that Asterisk has Jabber and Jingle support, but it looks like
> Asterisk acts as a Jabber client.

Asterisk can connect as a client or component to a XMPP server. XMPP
components are typically used as gateways between XMPP and other IM
services such as MSN or Yahoo.

You can connect Asterisk to GoogleTalk's XMPP network as a client
only, which will therefore be accessible through a presence
subscription mechanism just like a usual client.

On the other hand, you can connect Asterisk as a component to your
locally administered XMPP server, for example. A 'service discovery'
request to the server will show the Asterisk server as being
available.

> Are there any Jabber server solutions, where Jabber users can call SIP users
> by using the SIP URI and vice versa?

Asterisk can be used to call Gtalk users from SIP phones, and vice
versa. Configuration examples are given here :
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+Google+Talk
The call configuration is handled in the Dialplan in that case.

If you need to place a call from a XMPP client to a SIP URI, you'll
also have to find a client that's able to to so. I know that
GoogleTalk and Jabbin both speak XMPP + Gtalk. However, the GoogleTalk
client's user interface does not allow you to place a call to anything
but another XMPP client from your buddy list, without offering the
ability to enter either a SIP URI or phone number. A possible
workaround was available here :
http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=8659

As for Jingle, Asterisk tries to follow the latest set of
specifications (code only available from SVN trunk), which are not
completed yet.

Philippe