[asterisk-users] What do you do to keep asterisk alive?

Matthew J. Roth mroth at imminc.com
Wed Nov 7 12:29:16 CST 2007

Per Jessen wrote:
> I don't know why it's stopping, but I'm pretty certain it's a segfault.
> Next time it happens, I should be getting the core dump.
> I'm running 1.4.13, no AGI scripts.
Per,

You should be able to determine if it was a segfault by looking at your
system log.  For example, on one of my CentOS systems:

  [root at ast01 ~]# grep segfault /var/log/messages
  Jul 31 11:10:41 ast01 kernel: asterisk[11548]: segfault at
0000000000000010 rip 0000000000420450 rsp 0000000041c670e0 error 4

Hopefully, you don't have enough segfaults occurring on your system to
require a more complex search.  I also recommend the safe_asterisk
script if your failures are all segfaults.  Unfortunately, the other way
Asterisk dies (the process is still alive, but not really doing
anything) isn't as easy to diagnose.

Regards,

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions