[asterisk-users] What do you do to keep asterisk alive?

Andrea Spadaccini a.spadaccini at mediatechnologies.it
Wed Nov 7 05:16:18 CST 2007

Ciao Per,

> I've asterisk stop (presumably segfaulting) a couple of times, and I was
> just beginning to look at how to keep it running - what have others
> done?
>
> I was thinking of wrapping a script around asterisk like this:
>
> while 1
> do
>   asterisk -f
> done

Doing so you won't be able to stop asterisk, if you wanted to..

IMHO it's better to build a FSM (Finite State Machine) that handles the
Asterisk process and other collateral processes (like the MAPI proxy) and let
it monitor the process.

Moreover, you should make this FSM sensible to UNIX signals in order to
start, stop, restart Asterisk easily if you want.

HTH,

--
Dr. Andrea Spadaccini
Multimedia Technologies Institute - MTI S.r.l.