[asterisk-users] MeetMe CPU resources

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Tue Nov 6 11:02:58 CST 2007

In article <20071106160917.GA5991 at pinux.info>,
Carles Pina i Estany <carles at pina.cat> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We would like to have a conference with 15 users aprox. We think that
> Pentium 4 3GHz and 1GB of RAM should be enough. Only Asterisk running.
>
> We wonder if somebody has some other experience, good or bad.
>
> We will use Asterisk 1.2 (it is a small and short project for only
> this).

It will depend on whether you are using VoIP or a PRI card.

I have a number of systems that have a single Pentium 4 @ 2.8GHz (with HT),
1GB RAM and a 4xE1 PRI card (TE410P), and they regularly have conferences
with up to 90 participants. I would expect them easily to handle the full
120 if needed. We are not using echo cancellation.

Using VoIP will consume more CPU due to the networking overhead, and even
more if you are transcoding a compressed codec.

However, with the spec of your machine, you should be ok with 15 users
even using VoIP and compressed codecs.

Cheers
Tony
--