[asterisk-users] Need Reference sites

Steven asterisk at tescogroup.com
Mon Nov 5 06:40:15 CST 2007

We have implemented asterisk.

We are a tier one automotive tooling supplier.

We have approx. 120 extensions in use plus 8 fax extensions.

We also have a two port cell phone adapter so when we call out T-Mobile phone, we are using the free (included) T-mobile to T-mobile
minutes.

We have also added an IAX2 activeX control to our website, so that people can call us for free.
       This was originally added for overseas JVs to call us without cost.

Notes for cost savings:

We kept the main panel (was a 3 panel system) of our old PBX to use for its analog extensions for faxing.
    This lets us keep our fax lines as TDM, so there are no fax over IP issues.
    We use a PRI cable to connect the asterisk and old PBX.
We used Citel digital extension converters to reuse our old NEC phones as SIP extensions.
    This made our phone costs one third of what it would cost to buy new IP phones.
    The negative here is that we still have to maintain our two wire extension cables.

We did this change mostly for the feature set.
We do have a few IP phones (wireless and wired) for areas of our shop that did not have two wire phone lines.

We currently have consolidated down to one building, but when we next expand, a VOIP phone system will really shine in its cost
savings.

I did this all myself.  It was not too difficult once you get into it.

We started off by dropping the asterisk server between the Telco and old PBX using PRI.
We then converted over to asterisk's voice mail, CDR and conferencing (web-meetme).
We ran like this for a few months with only my extension on the new system. (for testing and adding features)
We had a catch-all rule in asterisk where all _5XXX calls were forwarded to the old PBX.

When we started the rollout:
We just defined the extension in asterisk so inbound calls would stay in asterisk and go to the new extension.
We removed the extension number from the old PBX, so calls to the extension from the old PBX would be dialed as an outside call and
go to asterisk.
This allowed us to take our time rolling out the new system.  We moved maybe 1 or 2 extensions a day and could do it during work
hours.

Our total purchased cost was $9000.
I did not track my time exclusive to this project, so I do not have a dollar figure for it.
Much of this time was fun for me though.
I actually had to change the source code (I am not a programmer and do not know how to write C, but I can read and alter code OK).
Our old PBX would hang up if we tried to send callerID.  Our telco at the time was sending only the number, but asterisk was send
number and name.
I added a config option to allow for this and it was added to the source code at Digium.
Now we have changed Telcos and we have name and number in asterisk and only number at the fax machines, which is fine.

At this point, we are running asterisk with no source code changes. (this makes upgrades easier)

I hope this helps.

Steven

http://www.glimasoutheast.org