[asterisk-users] Passing call duration to an AGI Script

Martin Smith martins at bebr.ufl.edu
Thu May 31 11:23:27 MST 2007

Hi Adi,

AGI is probably best viewed like any other dialplan application (and
with DeadAGI something that happens after, but anyway) -- in my opinion.
I've seen people do some pretty wild stuff with it, but in the end, when
I wonder if the Manager interface or AGI interface is most appropriate
for a given task, I ask questions like "Would I want to do this with
another application? Is this even possible with another application?".

In your case, I'd say you probably couldn't say... periodically execute
a dialplan application that runs in the middle of a call without
interrupting the call (with AGI, anyway). I'd recommend using the
Manager interface and polling for call durations / listening for events
and acting on the information you get back (I'd assume the answered
duration is one of those values you could poll for).

Hope this helps -- others, please jump in if I'm way wrong :)

Martin Smith, Systems Developer
martins at bebr.ufl.edu
Bureau of Economic and Business Research
University of Florida
(352) 392-0171 Ext. 221