[asterisk-users] reset Polycom phones remotely

Rob Schall rschall at callone.net
Thu May 31 06:12:22 MST 2007

If all you need is a soft reboot to load config files and want to do it
remotely, there is no need to cut power to the phones. I know this works
on polycom 501 and 601s. I assume it would work on other polycoms as well.

asterisk -rx 'sip notify polycom-check-cfg 192.168.1.XXX '

There is a setting in the phone configs that needs to be turned on to
allow this, but after you reboot the phone by hand once with that
setting, you can reset your phones via and machine on the network that
has access to that asterisk box as root. You can also turn it into a
script it you needed to and it would look something like:

#!/usr/bin/perl

$phone = shift;
if($phone == ""){
    print "No Phone IP Address Specified (sipReboot 192.168.xxx.xxx)\n";
    exit();
}
print "Resetting phone: $phone\n";
my @sippeers = `asterisk -rx \'sip notify polycom-check-cfg $phone \'`;
print "Reset complete\n"

then to run it, ./sipReboot 192.168.1.XXX. This makes it easier to do
bash looping and to reset all the phones on the network at once if you
wanted to.