[asterisk-users] How to read SIP debug?

BSumrall Brads at ftnco.com
Thu May 31 02:06:11 MST 2007

Really not much to know.

Just read the packet headers and they usually tell you what is going on.

I learned by just reading them for a while.

404 means not there.

403 means more of an internal error.

I am going threw the learning curve of the dialplan that will give a better
understanding of what is going on.

In a nut shell, SIP uses port 5060 (most of the time) to establish
authentication.

If authentication is go "both ways", meaning firewall or other anomaly is
not blocking the path (telnet tells all!), then and RTP stream is
established somewhere between ports 10000 and 20000 (one way audio will
usually indicate firewall problems here as well).

Then, bahda-bing!

The call begins.

Everything else is in the dial plan.

Or, you could just go spend hours in the RFC for the particulars!

  _____